Explore the WOW
Build Your Experience. Build Your Brand. Build Your Network!
A program by the UT Dallas University Career Center (UCC), the Virtual Explore the World of Work (WoW) Networking Program provides students with professional connections and networking experiences in their chosen career fields. Undergraduate students are matched with UTD alumni and employers in a variety of careers across all industries and academic disciplines.
Students will have the opportunity to network and connect virtually with employers in their industry to explore different careers. Students partake in informational interviews and receive an industry overview from individual company leaders. There is no cost associated with participating, and benefits received through this experience are invaluable. Not only will students gain real world career knowledge and experience, they will also expand their career network. Some students find their networking has led them to find a lifelong mentor, an internship, and even a full-time employment offer.
The next program takes place July 27 – 31, 2020. However, the University Career Center does support and facilitate other informal externships throughout the year so check with the University Career Center Experiential Programs Team about other unique opportunities.
Applications must be submitted by July 10th.
Possible networking and informational interview activities:
- Review of organization’s mission/vision statement and organizational charts
- Communication with a variety of employees in different departments
- Learn about the career paths of many employees in the organization
- Attend meetings with employees and clients
- Learn how different departments work together
- Meet employees who recently graduated from college to hear their perspective
- Speak with HR representatives about recruiting and hiring practices
- Learn what skills, qualifications, and education are applicable to the employer’s career
- Virtual Tour of the workplace, website, and/or relevant projects
Eligibility to participate in the Explore the WoW Program, students must:
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student
- Have earned at least 30 credit hours
- Complete online application process and upload UCC approved resume
- Attend the mandatory externship orientation sessions (if selected)
- Initiate and continue contact with sponsor prior to the experience
- Recommended: Have an overall 2.5 GPA
Explore the WoW Timeline
- May 18, 2020: Registration opens for employers
- May 29, 2020: Students can register for an interest session on Handshake
- June 15, 2020: Deadline for employers to register
- June 19, 2020: Companies listed on Handshake event for students to apply
- June 22, 2020: Interest Session for Explore the WoW
- July 1, 2020: Interest Session for Explore the WoW
- July 10, 2020: Deadline for students to apply for networking opportunities
- July 13-17, 2020: Applicant Selection/Placement
- July 20: Attend a mandatory orientation session (if selected)
- Jul 27 – 31, 2020: Virtual EWoW
- Mon, July 27: Virtual Meet and Greet - Company Overview
- Tue, July 28 – Thurs, July 30: 1:1 Informational Interviews
- Fri, July 31: Student Debrief
- August 14, 2020: Student and employer post-evaluations due
For more information, contact the UCC Experiential Programs Team or call us at 972-883-2943.