Externship/Job Shadowing Program
The UT Dallas University Career Center is excited to announce a new opportunity to get engaged with our students! Virtual Explore the World of Work (WoW) is a week-long career networking opportunity for students to get first-hand knowledge and experience from employers. Undergraduate and graduate students are matched with UTD alumni and employers in a variety of careers across all industries and academic disciplines.
The next program will be held during Summer Break (July 27th – 31st, 2020). Employers will network with current Comets virtually and provide a valuable opportunity to learn about their chosen career field. Students will have the opportunity to network with employers in their career field through informational interviews and informative company presentations. Not only will students gain real world career knowledge and experience, but they will also be able to expand their career network. There is no cost to network with students. If you are unavailable during this time, the University Career Center also supports offering informal externships throughout the year.
Benefits received are invaluable. Not only will students gain real world career knowledge and experience, they will also expand their career network. Some students find their networking has led them to find a lifelong mentor, an internship, and even a full-time employment offer.
If you are interested in networking, please complete this form and someone from the University Career Center will be in touch to confirm details; how many students you would like to host, what career fields best match jobs in your organization and a tentative schedule of informational interviews.
Possible Activities and Conversations
- Review organization’s mission/vision statement and organizational charts
- Communicate with a variety of employees in different departments
- Learn about the career paths of many employees in the organization
- Attend meetings with employees and clients
- Learn how different departments work together
- Meet employees who recently graduated from college to hear their perspective
- Speak with HR representatives about recruiting and hiring practices
- Learn what skills, qualifications, and education are applicable to the employer’s career
- Virtual Tour of the workplace, website, and/or relevant projects
Explore the WoW Timeline
- May 18, 2020: Registration opens for employers
- June 15, 2020: Deadline for employers to register
- June 19, 2020: Companies listed on Handshake event for students to apply
- July 10, 2020: Deadline for students to apply for networking opportunities
- July 13-17, 2020: Applicant Selection/Placement
- July 20: Students attend a mandatory orientation session by the UCC (if selected)
- Jul 27 – 31, 2020: Virtual EWoW
- Mon, July 27: Virtual Meet and Greet - Company Overview
- Tue, July 28 – Thurs, July 30: 1:1 Informational Interviews
- Fri, July 31: Student Debrief
- August 14, 2020: Student and employer post-evaluations due
For more information, please send an email to the UCC Experiential Programs Team or call us at 972-883-2943.