Visa Categories Other Than F or J

Non-Immigrant Ability to Work and Study

There are dozens of U.S. visa categories. The following are the most commonly found at UT Dallas among the student population.For information about international faculty and researchers contact the Human Resources department.

Category Description Degree Study Allowed Campus Work Allowed Proof of Work Authorization
B-1/B-2 Tourist or business traveler No No N/A
E-1/E-2 Investor dependent Yes Maybe USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for E-2 Spouse. No work authorization allowed for E-2 dependent children.
F-1 Student Yes Yes F-1 status (valid I-20)
F-1 OPT Student No Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
F-2 Dependent Yes, Less Than Full Time No N/A
H-1B Skilled employee Yes No N/A, unless H-1B obtained through UTD to work at UTD.
H-4 Dependent Yes No
*Some H-4 do have permission if an EAD has been issued.
EAD if received for H-4 status.
J-1 Exchange visitor Yes Yes Written permission from ISSO
J-2 Dependent Yes Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
L-1 Company transfer Yes No N/A
L-2 Dependent Yes Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
TN NAFTA employee Yes No Status contingent on outside employment
TD NAFTA dependent Yes No N/A

B-1/B-2 Visa Holders

UT Dallas permits qualified students to enroll in classes, and to engage in degree-seeking study. However, immigration regulations specifically prohibit study in the U.S. while in B-1 / B-2  status.If you currently hold B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant status and would like to enroll in classes, you may apply for a change of status to F-1 if:

  • You have not yet enrolled in classes
  • Your current status has not expired
  • You have not engaged in unauthorized employment

Dependent Students Under 21 Years of Age

If you are in the U.S. as a dependent on your parent’s visa, please be aware that your current immigration status expires on your 21st birthday, regardless of the expiration date displayed on your visa or I-94. To remain in the U.S. legally you must obtain a new, independent visa status such as F-1. You must apply for the new status before your 21st birthday. For more information about changing visa status, contact the ISSO or an immigration attorney.

Change of Status to F-1

If you are considering changing to F-1 status, you may find the ISSO Change of Status Guide helpful. It provides general information about the two methods of changing status, procedures and timelines.  Please be aware that while USCIS may post processing times of 3 months of less, processing for a change of status commonly requires approximately 6 months, so plan ahead.

Pending Permanent Residents

If you have applied for U.S. Permanent Residency (PR), please note that you will be considered an international student until you submit a copy of your Permanent Resident card (a.k.a. Green Card) to the following offices:

The ISSO fee will still be applied to students who are pending Permanent Residency and have not yet been approved.

Approved Permanent Residents

If you have been approved for Permanent Resident status and have received a Permanent Resident card or an I-551 stamp from a U.S. consulate, you may change your student category at UT Dallas. Submit a copy of the card or stamp to the Registrar’s Office and the ISSO. If you submit this proof prior to Census Day, all international student fees for the current semester will be dropped. Submissions after Census Day become effective in the following semester.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Some people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to allow them to remain in the U.S. for a period of two years, subject to renewal.

Deferred action does not provide lawful status. However, it does provide some benefits such as:

  • Eligible for work authorization
  • May begin or continue study at UT Dallas

Students who are DACA recipients, but who are coded as F-1 in Galaxy may request ISSO to update their status. Please contact an ISSO advisor with the details of your specific situation. For information on how to request DACA for the first time, or to renew an existing period of DACA, please visit