Virtual Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion (For Fall 2020)
The goal of the Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) is to help all students understand the basic building blocks of diversity and inclusion; foster a campus culture of acceptance; and highlight university resources that will aid in these processes. This certificate was developed by the Living Learning Communities program in partnership with the International Center, Multicultural Center, and Galerstein Gender Center. It is open to all students enrolled at UT Dallas.
Because of University regulations, the CDI will be offered online for the fall 2020 semester. Students must complete the certificate requirements in one semester.
Requirements to Participate
- Complete the online Diversity 101 module.
- Participate in at least three online engagements (virtual events).
- Document event attendance by completing a submission form.
You can complete Diversity 101 by fulfilling one of the following three options:
- Attend a diversity lecture in your Freshman Seminar Course. The LLC Department will verify your attendance with the course instructor.
- Attend the LLC Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion Launch Party at the beginning of the semester. (Date and time TBD)
- Request to complete a self-study of the Diversity 101 module. Upon completion of the module, you will take a brief quiz to demonstrate your understanding of the material.
Students must participate in two different types of online engagements for a total of three engagements. The LLC hosts monthly online events which count towards these requirements.
Types of online engagements include:
- Virtual events hosted online by the LLC Department or another UT Dallas department such as Podcast Listen Parties, Documentary Watch Parties, Topic Discussions, or trainings.
- Discussion posts via the Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion eLearning section or LLC social media. Choose a discussion topic and write one response to the original post and one response to another person's post. If you are interested in being added to the CDI eLearning organization, please email the LLC department email.
- Writing submissions such as a blog-style piece, reflection, or response on a topic related to diversity and inclusivity. Please submit your writing pieces using the writing submission form.
Many UT Dallas departments are currently offering relevant, virtual events including the Galerstein Gender Center, Multicultural Center, and Student Counseling Center. This list is evolving and not exhaustive.
For questions regarding qualified events, please email us directly at [email protected].
Document Event Attendance
CDI Leader Position
All students who complete the CDI are eligible to apply for the CDI Leader position. Applications are currently open for the 2020-2021 school year and are due by August 31, 2020. Find more information and fill out the application here.