In the event of a legal name change or an incorrectly recorded name, you must first contact the appropriate department for your legal records and inform them of the change. The correct departments are as follows:

Once you have contacted the appropriate department, or departments if you are both staff and student, all systems should be updated with your new name after 48 hours. If these systems are not up to date after 48 hours or you would just like your preferred name changed, the next step would be to submit a self service ticket using the below instructions.

Back to Top

Update Preferred Name (Students)

The University recognizes that many community members use names other than their primary/legal names to identify themselves. To find out more information about updating your preferred name visit the Registar FAQ page, or email [email protected].

Back to Top

Update Preferred Name (Staff/Faculty)

Payroll/HR systems must use your legal name, but if you would like to have your display name changed, you will need to submit an Atlas self-service ticket at To submit an Atlas Self-service ticket:

  1. Visit the OIT Service Catalog.
  2. Search for Request Display / Preferred Name Change. Click Request Service.
  3. Enter your correct name, where the name displays correctly or incorrectly, and whether it’s a legal or preferred name change
  4. Click Submit
  5. Note the service request number, if desired, and click OK

Back to Top