UT Dallas student

Contact Us

972-883-2098 Office
Please don't fax, email instead:
[email protected]

Office Hours

Office: AD 2.224
Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Appointments are available
by request.

Testing Hours

Mon-Thrs 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Fri 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.


Mailing Address

University of Texas at Dallas
Student AccessAbility
800 W. Campbell Rd., AD 30
Richardson, TX 75080

Faculty and Staff

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is eligible for disability services?

    Students with a significant physical, mental or learning impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as walking, learning and performing manual tasks, are eligible for disability services. Students requesting services and accommodations are required to register by submitting current and comprehensive disability documentation.

  • Are all students with disabilities registered with the Office of Student AccessAbility (OSA)?

    No. Many students either choose not to register for disability services or they have not met the eligibility criteria for services. Faculty members do not have to provide unregistered students with accommodations.

  • How do I know if a student is registered with OSA?

    Upon student request and verification of eligibility, an Accommodation Letter is prepared for each student by OSA. Students are responsible for meeting with instructors, providing the Accommodation Letter, and making arrangements for course accommodations. If a student requests accommodations without providing a current Accommodation Letter, you should refer the student to OSA. However, if the disability is visible (use of wheelchair, hearing aids, service animal, etc.) and the request is reasonable, you should provide the accommodation while the student is in the process of registering with OSA.

  • What is an accommodation?

    An accommodation is the modification, adjustment or elimination of a barrier to a program or service that enables an individual with a disability to participate on an equal basis. Extended time for test taking, providing print material in alternate formats, sign language interpreting, and using FM listening devices are examples of accommodations frequently provided for UT Dallas students.

  • What should I do if a student gives me an Accommodation Letter from OSA?

    When a student gives you an Accommodation Letter and discloses that he or she has a disability, you should meet privately with the student and establish a means of providing the accommodations listed in the letter. Faculty members can also greatly assist the student by asking what can be done in the course to facilitate learning and access to the class. If you are unsure of how to provide an accommodation, please call OSA in a timely manner. A staff member will be glad to provide clarification or necessary support.

  • Why is the OSA sending accommodation letters to me now (Summer 2020), I thought students had to personally provide these?

    During the conversion to online classes due to the pandemic, it became evident that it would be more difficult for students to self-disclose their accommodation needs in person. Further, some faculty indicated a preference to have the letters verified as all students were sending them by email. Distributing them directly from the OSA should address these concerns, however it is still essential for faculty to acknowledge receipt of the letter and how the accommodations will be provided in their classes with each student.

  • Who is responsible for providing accommodations?

    Faculty members who have been notified in a timely fashion by OSA or the student with an Accommodation Letter are legally responsible for fulfilling classroom accommodation requests. OSA will assist with accommodations that require putting materials in electronic format, computers for test-taking, or providing adaptive equipment for the lab. Faculty members who are unable to accommodate students should contact OSA.

  • What is the policy on confidentiality?

    All disability information must be treated confidentially and shared with others, such as a TA, only for the purpose of providing accommodations.

  • What if I think a student has a disability but he or she has not said anything to me?

    Have a private discussion with the student about your observations of his or her academic performance. Refer the student to all support services available such as the GEMS Center, OSA, Counseling Center, etc. Refrain from speculating about a disability.

  • Where can I find more information to assist students with disabilities?

    Please call OSA at 972-883-2098 for more information. The OSA website is a good resource for additional information.

Back to Faculty/Staff